I was motivated to create my own spicy meatballs after being served supermarket bought meatballs at a party.
I wanted something that didn’t have any additives or preservatives and tasted of real meat, with added spices. I’ve also discovered that as well as meatballs, this recipe can also be used for mini-burgers, if you wanted to create an interesting canapé. These “mini” meatballs are a great starter to a main, BBQ event.
Makes 10/12 meatballs
500 gram beef mince
1 x egg, beaten
1 x medium onion, chopped
2 x cloves of garlic, crushed
1 x tsb dried, mixed herbs
1 x tsp chilli powder (mild or hot?)
1. Gently fry the onion until it is soft and golden (be careful not to burn), then set aside
2. Add the crushed garlic to the pan and gently cook for about a minute (again do not burn)
3. Place the beef mince, onion, garlic, herbs, chilli powder and beaten egg in a food mixer and whizz until everything is mixed together.
4. Make several small balls from the mixture (golf ball size).
5. Open up each meat ball and place a small amount of mozzarella cheese in the middle, then re-seal the meatball.
6. Pre-heat your oven to 180.
7. Melt some butter in a frying pan and fry the meatballs (roll then around so that they cook evenly) until they are crisp and golden on the inside.
8. Place the meatballs on a baking tray and cook in your oven for10 minutes.
9. Using oven gloves, remove the meatballs from the oven
10. Serve with a hot salsa sauce (add a green salad for a main meal)
To download and print this recipe, please click the link below: